Advertisement

DEA Moves Forward On Scheduling Salvia Divinorum

topic posted Sat, July 21, 2007 - 2:26 PM by  Gwyllm
Share/Save/Bookmark
A bit of less than cheery news:

THE SALVIA DIVINORUM OBSERVER
Saturday, July 21, 2007 / volume 5 number 14
The Salvia divinorum Research and Information Center (SDRIC)
sagewisdom.org

The US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) recently initiated an Eight Factor Analysis of Salvia divinorum. The Controlled Substances Act requires that this analysis be performed before a substance can be scheduled as a controlled substance. The eight factors
considered are:

* Actual and potential for abuse
* Pharmacology
* Other current scientific knowledge
* History and current pattern of abuse
* Scope, duration, and significance of abuse
* Public health risk
* Psychic or physiological dependence liability
* If an immediate precursor of a controlled substance

Based on the results of the analysis, the DEA may recommend that Salvia divinorum be scheduled as a controlled substance. This analysis will probably take several months to be completed.
posted by:
Gwyllm
Portland
Advertisement
  • Many of those eight points are going to hard to substantiate in reguards to Salvia.

" Psychic or physiological dependence liability "

The word " Psychic " is a rather intrigueing word to use here. The DEA believe
    in psychic powers ??? Maybe they meant " psychological " but even that doesn't
    make much sense either....

Yea, I just got mugged the other day by a Salvia addict, it's definetly a problem uh huh....
    • > Many of those eight points are going to hard to substantiate in reguards to Salvia.

As a matter of reason, yes, but the DEA has never exactly been constrained by reason in scheduling procedures. After all, Marijuana is Schedule I ("no accepted medical use") while Marinoal (synthetic THC) is Schedule III - what the hell sense does that make?

In my opinion it is only a matter of time till Salvia is Schedule I.
      • Dan must have made a mistake. I am sure he meant psychological dependence. the DEA uses that term all the time. So I am wondering if the DEA decides it is bad (which they may or may not do), do they have the power to schedule it, or do they recommend it for scheduling and then it has to go through legislation?
        • Apparently the DEA can investigate substances itself and has power to submit substances for scheduling based on findings, but the actual addition of substances to schedules is performed by the DOJ and HHS, if the following article is correct. This article also covers Schedules I thru V and substances in these schedules.

<<The Controlled Substances Act (CSA) was enacted into law by the Congress of the United States as Title II of the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970.[1] The CSA is the legal basis by which the manufacture, importation, possession, and distribution of certain drugs are regulated by the federal government of the United States. The Act also served as the national implementing legislation for the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs.

The legislation created five Schedules (classifications), with varying qualifications for a drug to be included in each. Two federal departments, the Department of Justice and the Department of Health and Human Services (which includes the Food and Drug Administration) determine which drugs are added or removed from the various schedules, though the statute passed by Congress created the initial listing. Classification decisions are required to be made on the criteria of potential for abuse, accepted medical use in the United States, and potential for addiction.>>

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cont...tances_Act

Recent topics in "Salvia divinorum"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Pain Killers, RCS Vendors Lexi 0 February 21, 2016
Legit suppliers of a-pvp, MDMA, MDPV Methylone (bk-mdma) and o... Tony 0 April 24, 2015
Deja Vu, Life Script, Life Repeat .. matt 1 February 20, 2015
The salvia flashback? Unsubscribed 13 January 16, 2015