Advertisement

An insights on using Tincture?

topic posted Tue, November 30, 2004 - 12:34 PM by  Craig
Share/Save/Bookmark
Howdy-
I'm new to the tribe and was wondering a couple of things. I have a bottle of Sage Goddess Emerald Essence which I bought a couple of years ago. Haven't used it yet. Is it still potent two years later? Also I've lost the original instructions that came with it in a move.

This will be a first time for me with salvia. I am experienced with some other psychedelics, and have done vipassana silence retreats. Mi intention isn't for "a trip'; it's for insight, connection to divinity, and for an understanding of how to heal HIV from a cellular level...

Thanks for any insights.
posted by:
Craig
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Re: An insights on using Tincture?

Tue, November 30, 2004 - 1:22 PM
    Hello Craig. Your tincture should still be good. Here is a table of reccomended dosages for your tincture: www.sagewisdom.org/elixirtable.html

Before using tincture, it is best to brush your tongue and gums and rinse with an alcohol based mouthwash (one that also contains menthol is preferable). This insures that the tincture is more readily absorbed. Diluting the tincture with a little warm water is recommended, otherwise it may irritate the mouth's mucus membranes. Please note that diluting it will reduce the potency. Can be diluted to: 1 part water to 1 part tincture, or 1 part water to 2 parts tincture (again according to preference).

Dried Salvia leaf, or extract enhanced Salvia leaf can be smoked in conjunction with the tincture method to boost the strength of the experience. Tincture may also be used to enhance raw, dried Salvia leaf. Drop it onto leaf and mix well. Allow the leaves to dry out completely (the grain alcohol and water will evaporate, leaving behind the Salvia concentrate).

Be aware that it is more difficult to acheive a 1st time breakthrough experience with tincture, so you may want o up the dosage a bit, or try to get some Salvia leaf to smoke while taking your tincture.

As far as gaining insight through the experience, you sound like you are familiar with some techniques used to insure a productive journey. Getting in the right mindset before the experience, and being in the right setting are equally important.

Tue, November 30, 2004 - 9:32 PM
      A lot of people dilute tincture with equal parts of honey to reduce burning, and report good results. (I have no experience with tincture myself.)

Oh, another thing. Quidding or tincture are supposed to be absorbed most effectively way at the back of the mouth, as far back as you can get without swallowing. (Someone discovered that on another Salvia forum I am on, and everyone who has tried it that way has agreed.)

Breakthrough is rarely achieved the first time with Salvia. Some people do break through immediately, others may take months of gradual buildup. Set and setting are very important. Darkness and closed eyes make breakthrough much easier. And it is important to be in a setting that feels SAFE. Also, make sure your physical environment is free from hazards, anything you could crash into or something if you were "sleepwalking." So the setting needs to both FEEL safe psychically and BE safe physically.

A sitter is highly recommended, but only if it is someone you feel very safe with.

Tue, November 30, 2004 - 3:38 PM
    "This will be a first time for me with salvia. I am experienced with some other psychedelics, and have done vipassana silence retreats. Mi intention isn't for "a trip'; it's for insight, connection to divinity, and for an understanding of how to heal HIV from a cellular level... "

My advice is to inform yourself as much as possible beforehand (read the threads in this tribe, to start, and www.sagewisdom.org is a great resource) because Salvia is seriously different from other psychedelics. They can't really give you an idea of what to expect.

As for healing HIV from a cellular level, I think that Ayahuasca is better suited to that kind of work than Salvia. Salvia can potentially be used for a lot of things, and deep cellular healing may be one of them, but she doesn't do it on her own, you have to help to focus her. As one of my Salvianaut friends says, "In the dance with Salvia, she wants us to lead." And learning how to take the steering wheel and focus Salvia (if you'll forgive all these mixed metaphors) is a skill that takes a long time to develop.

Aya, on the other hand, is deeply experienced with healing, and she can take the initiative to look into the deep recesses and guide you.

But Aya and Salvia are friends and they can work in partnership.

Mon, April 18, 2005 - 10:32 AM
      I tried the tincture for the first time a couple of days ago. I'll remind you that I've never tried Salvia ever before in any form. I used the dose that the instructions say to attain a moderate effect. At first it stung like hell and was diluted. I didn't think at first I would be able to hold it but I did and the stinging went away after 20 seconds of each dose. I was really skeptical that this would work cause I've been scamed before by other herbs and claims. The effects kicked in around the time it said it would. I started to feel heavy all over and really trance like, relaxed. I really started to freak cause I was suprised it was actally working the first time. I began to think I was super sensative and that I took too much and was going to have a crazy trip. I wasn't ready for this level yet! Fortunatly I didn't have a crazy trip at that dose. I think I ruined the experience though by freaking out through most of it. Next time I will know what to expect. The only thing I disliked about the tincture was how it burned the bottom of my tounge. I'm not using it again utill its been completely healed for awhile. I'll try to find the honey solution you talked about.

Mon, April 18, 2005 - 11:06 AM
        Hold the honey/tinc at the back of the throat where it does not burn nearly as much, and is way more effective than underneath the tongue. Swallow it bit by bit. Also try placing whole dry leaves in the same location then moisturize them a bit with a sip of water, then squeeze gradually and let the juices run down the throat. No burning whatsoever. Salvia leaves take a bit longer than tinc to induce besagement, but after the first alert, it's just a couple minutes to besagement via leaves.

Mon, April 18, 2005 - 11:17 AM
          "Hold the honey/tinc at the back of the throat"

Sorry, I meant "top of the tongue, toward the rear". Then swallow it slowly. This should work better than holding tinc underneath the tongue (which burns) and allowing saliva to build up in the mouth (further diluting the tinc).

Wed, April 20, 2005 - 9:42 AM
    I added a file called 'Salvia Tincture Info' at the group
    groups.yahoo.com/group/salviadivinorum2/

Joining that group requires no approval.
    It's in the files section.
    groups.yahoo.com/group/sal...um2/files/

I think it's from a Salvianaut named Mark.
    It's good reading..highly recommended.
    It includes a recipe for homemade tinc. Although there is some danger using the microwave...I've done it successfully many times - start to finish in LESS THAN AN HOUR. Even w/ my hasteful self I approximated 1 STRONG dose at $8 WITH the bottle and eye dropper cost included! Of course, it's a little work but you save money. It's fun and you connect w/ the experience better because you made the product yourself.

Excerpt:
    "Tincture comes on slowly, and provides the tantric equivalent to smoking's quick little death; it give you a chance to take some framework along. At the peak of the experience you can still be you.. and humans are better at perception than abstract geometries are. But lest you think these experience are weak, rest assured that it can take every skill of though and subtlety of mind to maintain the framework."

Recent topics in "Salvia divinorum"